Whale update 5

I did a fair amount of work on the baleen whale skull from Carmel Church this week. Some of the pieces removed from the jacket are net yet ready for photographs, but I have assembled more of the rostrum, shown above.

Below is our progress diagram, again using Aglaocetus patulus as a guide.

One big change is that I finally located part of the vomer, which is marked in blue on the drawing. It had been pushed down after burial, and so was located closer to the top of the skull than I had anticipated (remember that the skull was preserved upside down). I’ve also added a bit more to the premaxillae (green) and the right maxilla (red). If you compare this to the earlier updates (from April 1February 4January 21, and November 29) you’ll see that the relative positions of the maxillae and premaxillae have shifted somewhat, as the proportions have become clearer during preparation.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in "Sinistra", Carmel Church mysticetes, Carmel Church Quarry, Chesapeake Group and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Whale update 5

  1. Doug says:

    Must be fun working on a whale

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s