We had a long and fairly frustrating day today. We have gotten into possibly the most dense concentration of bones I’ve ever seen at Carmel Church (and that’s saying something); they’re stacked 4 and 5 deep. I removed two vertebrae and numerous ribs today in an effort to define a jacket, but with no success (one of the removed vertebrae is shown above). Tomorrow, I think I’m going to try a different technique for removing the bulk of the skeleton.
There was one particularly interesting bone that we removed late in the afternoon:
I’m not sure what this bone is. At first glance, it doesn’t match well with any whale bones. In some ways it resembles a land mammal scapula more than anything else, although there are problems with that identification as well (for example, there’s no clear acromion process).