A few weeks ago we successfully flipped over our large diplodocid scapulocoracoid. We had to spend some time removing the gauze that had been used to help keep everything in place, as well as removing the glue that had been applied to the bone for the same purpose. We’ve now completed those steps, and we’ve moved on to removing the sediment that is still adhering to this side of the bone and repairing breaks.
We arbitrarily decided to start at the front, on the coracoid (the right end in this picture), and work our way back. The dark area of bone in the lower right is coracoid that has been cleaned, with all the sediment removed. The brown semicircle along the right edge is sediment that is still on the bone. You can see that there are some areas (such as the center of the bone) that have very little sediment on them, even though we haven’t cleaned those areas yet. These are areas in which the sediment was removed in the field before the jacket was made (we try not to bring back any more sediment than necessary – it just makes the jackets heavier).
Once we’ve completely cleaned this side of the bone, we’ll apply glues and fillers to help hold together any broken pieces, and then make the other half of the permanent storage jacket.
So far, I’ve had to twice postpone out fall Carmel Church excavation. It looks like we’re finally going to get out into the field starting this Friday. As usual I’ll be posting regular updates on the progress of our excavation.