It’s a short post tonight, because we finished up this evening and closed down the pit. I had intended to remove three jackets, but we only ended up getting two out (both of them are visible above). As we tried to trench around the third jacket we encountered a large amount of bone, which is going to require a week or more to remove. We took out the most fragile elements (the whale atlas and the fish vertebrae) and put a temporary jacket over the remaining bones to protect them for the next excavation, which will happen in a few weeks.
Even though we didn’t remove the last jacket, it was a highly successful trip, with several hundred pounds of specimens recovered. I’d like to thank all the volunteers who helped out on this excavation, including Tim and Rachel Livengood, Mike and Josh Morriss, and Carter and Bryce Harrison.