I spent most of last week (and will spend most of this one) trying to meet various deadlines for manuscripts and grant proposals. That’s put a serious crimp in my ability to do any of the parts of my job that I really enjoy, like actually looking at fossils, and is the reason for my low post rate.
One bit of news that some of you may find interesting is that we are now allowing paying customers to participate in excavations at Carmel Church. While I would love to be able to do unlimited excavations at the site with as many volunteers as I could get, our limited budget will simply not support this. Even with volunteer labor, there are substantial costs to running an excavation. With this program we hope to have enough customers to sustain, or even increase, our rate of excavation at Carmel Church.
Information about rates, schedules, etc. are available at a new website.
I did get a small diversion from writing on Saturday, which was Reptile Day at VMNH. As always, while I worked in the lab Tim spent the day working with the live reptiles:
Over 500 people attended the event. It worked out pretty well for Virginia Reptile Rescue as well, since they managed to get two rescued snakes adopted: one by Brett, Tim, and me, and one by VMNH director Joe Keiper.