I spent all of last week writing a manuscript on one of the Carmel Church specimens, which is why I didn’t get a post up last week. On Saturday I submitted the manuscript, and during the coming week I hope to get some lab work completed.
In the meantime, here’s a neat photo I took as part of some education programs that Brett, Christa, and I are developing on Carmel Church. These nine fish vertebrae are all from Carmel Church, and they’re intended to give a rough idea of the range of sizes of fish represented in the deposit. These are not all the same taxon, and in fact most of them have not been identified (although there is at least one drumfish, and I think at least one tuna). We have actually found smaller vertebrae than what’s shown here, but they wouldn’t show up well at this scale. The monster on the right is the largest fish vertebra we’ve found at Carmel Church; it’s actually only a little smaller than the vertebrae from “Sinistra”, one of our baleen whales.