We had a another full day today, only interrupted by my lunchtime lecture on “Sinistra” for the Earlham Biology Department (and, I have to say that I was impressed that more than 50 faculty and students showed up for a mid-day talk).
Ray started yesterday working on the two largest and most complex pieces, the cranium and the lower jaw. We had a problem with the cranium, in that the original reconstruction of the roof of the skull had been done incorrectly. The Earlham collections include a second, less complete Castoroides cranium that preserves the dorsal sutures, and we used that to remodel the cranium we’re casting (above; the white area is epoxy putty, that we used for the remodeling). With the corrections made, he was able to finish making the complex clay basin to hold the cranium:
It also took awhile to figure out how to mold the lower jaw, but Ray eventually came up with a design for a 2-part mold:
In addition to the work on the skull, we also turned over yesterday’s molds, including the right hand:
…right ribs 5-8:
…the last 6 caudal vertebrae:
…the right radius:
…the right humerus:
…left ribs 5-8:
…the right tibia and fibula:
…and right ribs 1-4:
We also did first pours on several other bones, including 8 caudal vertebrae in two molds:
…and the left humerus:
Finally, late in the day we poured our first cast, a right humerus:
There’s still lots more to come; we’ve molded less that half the skeleton so far!