Casting the Earlham Castoroides, Part 8

20130903-204507.jpg

My post will be a little shorter today, not because we took the day off (we worked 9 hours), but because we didn’t do a lot of photogenic work. Most of the day was spent preparing molds of thoracic vertebrae, like the ones below:

20130903-204531.jpg

20130903-204558.jpg

Ray finished the last silicone layers on the cranium and lower jaw; tomorrow we’ll make mother molds for them:

20130903-204721.jpg

We’ve also been receiving a lot of help from Earlham students over the last few days. Here is Heather working on the left radius:

20130903-204904.jpg

One aspect of the work on these casts that I haven’t mentioned, but which takes a lot of time, is that the casts generally don’t come out of the molds ready to use. Pour stubs and flash lines have to be removed, and sometimes small air bubbles need to be filled. So far on this trip we’ve spent around 15 hours just on cleaning up the casts:

20130903-205214.jpg

There are also a few molds we’re making from other specimens. Both VMNH and the Joseph Moore Museum had a need for a one-part mold of a giant beaver incisor. There’s a nice one in the JMM collection, but it’s still in the lower jaw and can’t be removed. Making the one-part block mold was a bit awkward, but it came out alright:

20130903-210012.jpg

Tomorrow we should be adding several additional casts.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Castoroides, Paleontological techniques. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s