Day 27: Picking up from two weeks ago, Ray and I, along with Alex (Dr. Hastings), headed out to Solite again to continue collecting the exposed insect bed. Due to the focus on the insect bed, we did not find much in the way of Tany.s or plants. Instead we collected ~9 cubic feet of insect bed.
The random occurrence of the day was when the soles from both of Alex’s boots decided that the abuse from the sharp Solite shale was too much and relieved themselves of their duties.
Day 28: On Saturday, I was greeted by a different looking pit. The foreman had gone in the day before and cleared our excess material from the center of the pit and removed the berm he had created months prior. By doing this, he created the opportunity for us to collect another ~60 cubic feet of material (insects, vertebrates, and plants alike).
While volunteer, Matthew S., worked to clean up the newly exposed outcrop, I continued the collection of insect bed. By the end of the day, I was able to collect ~6 cubic feet of material.
As Matthew was cleaning the outcrop, he came across a partial specimen of Fraxinopsis.